Anibal Oprandi - Meet and Funky

Anibal Oprandi

Share:
Anibal Oprandi -
 
0
 
 
 
 
 

Meet Anibal Oprandi. Community development practitioner, who arrived as a missionary to lease, then fell in love and eloped with Putu Arnany, a beautiful Balinese strict Hindu family, and vast piles.

Anibal Oprandi

Anibal Oprandi -. Photo of Karla Held

Tell me a little about yourself, Anibal

I am an Argentinean married to Putu Arnany since 1979 . We have four children and four grandchildren.

How many years have you been in Bali?

I came to Bali in June 1967, but I have to work reasons been in and out of Bali for the past forty-five years.

Where were you before coming to Bali? What brought you here

I was studying; I obtained a Master of Philosophy in Buenos Aires, Argentina, then a second MA in sociology and cultural anthropology in Washington, DC I came here through an organization dedicated to alleviating human suffering.

Your approach to poverty, famine, disasters and human misery in general not only have you gained a strong following around the world, but you became a living model how the West should look at the world. What is your current occupation and what occupies your time now?

I am a practitioner of community development since I left my studies at university. I was working for Plan International in several countries as Director and Country Representative. Recently, I did a lot of work in the development of human resources; my last post before retirement was in Pakistan, where I spent five years. I still have the occasional consultancy work in the field of evaluation of community development programs, reflection on performance and human resource development. I am a member of the Rotary Club of Bali Taman and this gives me the opportunity to share my knowledge and experience in community development projects.

Anibal Oprandi & Putu Arnany Oprandi

Anibal Oprandi & Putu Arnany Oprandi - Photo Karla Held

You said that you are married to a Balinese since 1979 - What is your philosophy of life about your relationship with a person and his family with social and cultural differences?

first, I can not deny the fact that we have differences in terms of character, traditional media, religion and occupation. I am more inclined to interpret things rationally while my wife more through his senses and feelings. I was raised and educated in a Western lifestyle and my wife a non-Western way. She is Hindu and I am a Catholic. My wife is in the clothing business with his batik workshop, batik Popiler II, and I am in the socio economic development sector for poverty reduction. Apart from these and other differences we also complement each other in terms of relational values ​​and attitudes that we share towards each other and others.

is often said that the gap between those who have and those who do not have exponential growth. What is your opinion about this?

The statistics clearly show that the world is faced with social, political and economic serious. Humanity must urgently do more about the growing gap between rich and poor people by allocating more resources to allow people to find ways to deal with their lack of the necessities of life such as adequate housing, education, job security, adequate medical care, human rights and effective, effective governance.

Do you think that the efforts and the approach of governments, international organizations and commercial companies create effective change?

To some extent, yes. There are many examples of sustainable development programs; however still much to be done in preventing the crisis of poverty that affects people in many parts of the world. There are cases such as disaster relief when organizations that help should simply provide backup basic assistance. When dealing with the socio-economic development aimed at improving the quality of life of people on the basis of existing knowledge in critical areas of the world, the approach should be to prepare people themselves to deal the crisis disaster by allowing them so they can take responsibility and be prepared. The socio-economic development and environmental sustainability are very important. review should be given to the respect of the natural ecosystem and the development of sustainable energy systems that put less carbon in the air.

What do you mean by environmental sustainability?

There is the ability or the efforts locally and internationally to maintain natural resources by promoting conservation of energy, making people more use renewable energy and simply improving the environment as stated by the United Nations for 2012 as the "Year of sustainable energy for all". Towers to generate Aeolic or wind power, the power of tidal currents, solar panels, etc. are among some examples of renewable energy.

What are the most critical areas of development that need more attention in the provision of assistance to developing countries and what can be done about these problems?

I think sociologists and political analysts agree on at least three critical areas that affect developing countries: the quality of governance, human rights and corruption. I do not think there is a magic unique solution to overcome these problems. It will take years of effort and resources to educate everyone to create a strong civil society, which in turn requires a responsible transparent government.

you've been told are also a "thinker". What is your opinion on the "Godless particle" or "God particle" in connection with the recent announcement of the finding by the European Centre for Nuclear Research [CERN]?

The efforts of CERN (money, labor, materials, time, etc.) on the search for knowledge about the subatomic particle is extraordinary . I think that their investment is about US $ 10 billion on the Large Hadron Collider and all that that implies. I can not say much about its importance from a physical point of view, but I guess it has practical implications for the advancement of scientific knowledge. I am a little surprised when I hear or read reviews that refer to God this discovery as the "God particle" or "particle Godless" implying that this particle can finally explain the existence of the universe and everything in her. I doubt any true scientist would associate this discovery with God. Philosophically speaking, there is a long way to its significance in terms of what is and what is not worth to God. I see this development as proof of how much we still need to know the existence of the universe, life and all these realities lead.

Anibal Oprandi as a young man

Anibal Oprandi as a young man

I see religion as the recognition and the relationship to an absolute being. Different religions have different ways of explaining the ways and means of relating to this absolute being. Religion should ultimately feed the freedom of the spirit; it should help us to find meaning in life and support values ​​such as love, respect, unity, sacrifice, compassion, honesty and fairness in all relationships, with no room for ambivalence, that is to say, simultaneous contradictory feelings about making a choice in our relationship to God, to other human beings and nature. I also think that the principles of religion should correlate with scientific discoveries and the progress of human life, of matter and the universe. It is true that science is still in progress and many of its truths are provisional, but it is also true that some results are indisputable and we can not ignore in our conceptualizations and religious practices.

How do you define the role of culture in the development of the individual and society?

Our minds and hearts are shaped by the society in which we live, can be either oppressed or liberated by cultural forces - it depends on the quality of these forces and our reaction to cultural pressures. Margaret Mead said that "the ideal culture is one in which there is a place for every human gift." If the culture does not include new knowledge and understanding of reality, it could remove gifted voice, become static, and not turn into a positive force in society.

Anibal, as a person who, like the Indonesians would say, "ate a lot of salt," what is your opinion in this life of rapid and continuous change? Your wisdom please!

"We reap what we sow," if we are selfish, can we expect others to meet us? "Often we do not see things as they are; we see them as we are. "If we go in life adrift instead direct our own lifetime, without inner direction, confidence, and determination, can we expect to be happy with ourselves and others?

and finally, what is your hobby?

Cactuses. Why? They serve as inspiration to me. I noticed that a cactus will only grow to a certain size in a small pot but the same cactus can grow in a much larger pot. does not suggest that we humans also need space and clean environment grow and develop? I also knew that if you treat a cactus carefully, you do not have to worry about being pricked by its thorns. does not that suggest we humans should also cover other with respect if we expect respect in return? Cacti may continue for a long time without water and nutrients, because they rely on their inner ability to maintain under adverse circumstances, which suggests that we humans are often test or affliction and must draw strength from ourselves to keep our minds and spirits to yield to discouragement and other negative feelings. Do not let your situation to determine your outlook on and approach to life!

--------------- ----------------------------- -------

Women Meet Anibal, Putu Arnany Oprandi, dedicated partner of 33 years and owner of Batik Popiler II.

Nany, how did you meet your husband?

Putu Arnany as a young woman

Putu Arnany as a young woman

The first time I met Anibal was at our shop, where we still Batik and custom designs today. My friend Murni (Murni Warung in Ubud) came to take a dress that my aunt made for her. Murni came to my shop with his girlfriend Bronia Witorz Anibal led them to our store, but stayed outside waiting for them in the car. His friend Bronia came out and Anibal inside the store. We kept looking at each other; I think it was love at first sight - it was in 1974

You are both such different backgrounds. How did you get this?

It has not been easy. I was the only human daughter of the head of a large Balinese family and great, so great that it almost made a banjar. When my family discovered our close relationship and that Anibal was a Western and a different religion, ME was put under the care of the family and the earth! No phone, no communication and monitored continuously. It was also difficult to Anibal as he faced his own personal problems and professional responsibilities. He quietly left Bali and its mission and waited for me in a small room at the Hyatt in Jakarta. My first attempt to escape failed. With the help of our friends I finally met Anibal Jakarta and we flew to Singapore where we tried to have a civil ceremony but he failed. We then went to Rome and tried to marry and failed again because I could not get the necessary documents required by the law on the Italian wedding. Finally, we did it in London. Anibal got a job with an international development organization that has placed us in Ecuador.

It must have been overwhelming for you; from traditional Bali to travel to Europe and then to South America. What are some of the challenges you faced?

Voyager itself was not a problem because I had enough experience traveling abroad, but we had to start all over again in terms of social and lifestyle adjustments. Perhaps the most difficult situation was disconnected with my family to Bali; Fortunately, I am occasionally able to talk to my mother on the phone and it was a great comfort to me! I could not afford to take many things and granted like I did before in Bali to be the only child in my family. In addition, I had to learn Spanish, to socialize in a Latin American culture, and deal with pregnancy and the birth of our first two children. Anibal family in Argentina was very nice to me, but I had to change my name to Nany because Putu Putu seems very close to an indecent word in Spanish! We have had our challenges in our relationship, but our love and commitment we keep strong. Anibal continued his work helping others and we eventually moved to Indonesia and now live in the family compound where I continue my batik business, batik Popiler.

I saw your batik center. You still doing everything by hand in the traditional way. Was it difficult to maintain traditional techniques in a modern Bali?

I'm lucky to have talented craftsmen and there are many people looking for a real batik. It is important for me that this art continues in the traditional way. A Batik Popiler we have very high standards yet are flexible using ancient techniques to produce modern products. We make clothing can also have traditional textiles in the design of innovative clothing.

You have a big family and a thriving business. What kept you strong throughout life?

I think to what I do with honesty, respect for others, and find solutions to problems no matter how difficult they can be. I also find happiness in giving not only where it is comfortable, but when it needs real sacrifices. I follow my heart and remain attached to human values, family and friendship that are important in life.

 
0