Laila Airlie Dempster - Meet and Funky

Laila Airlie Dempster

Share:
Laila Airlie Dempster -
 
0
 
 
 
 
 

Meet Laila Airlie Dempster, artist talent portrait with a love for all things Indonesian.

Laila, could you tell us a little about the first years of your life and when you discovered your creative talents?

I was born into a diplomatic family with a long artistic tradition. My first art studies were made in Barcelona, ​​Spain, with the great Spanish master Alfredo Sisquella the original Barcelona group of artists including Picasso was the most famous member. He used to enjoy drawing and I would play games around the art of painting to distract me so off guard, I absorbed the Old Master the basic techniques of my early days. At age 11, a student at the British Council in Singapore, my drawings of life were nearly as developed as today, and at 17, I went to St. Martin's School of Art in London. At 18, I began to receive portrait commissions and 23 I attended Byam Shaw School of Art in London.

How did you settle here in Indonesia?

I came to Indonesia in 1971, a large international congress of a worldwide spiritual movement called Subud, which is very new in the world, and its founder is a Javanese Semarang. It is not a religion or science or something like that we have ever known or heard of; It is something you receive and feel very clearly in yourself and therefore has no racial or religious denomination. It is unique to each individual, so that all races, religions, etc. can be together and worship as one ... a humanity before God.

You are recognized for your work as a portrait artist, could you tell us a little of your work?

I mainly work as a portrait artist worldwide, although now, established since 1971 in Jakarta, my work outside the portraits also express my love for Indonesia, its people, its traditions and landscapes. When in England, I had an exhibition at the Royal Society of Portrait Painters, and now my work, after many trips, to be found in the collections, some important around the world and now my current project for a large exhibition of new work in central Java.

How would you describe your style and approach to design?

It is quite difficult to describe my style, sort of impressionist, would you? What me and my approach to design inspired ... you see, I was born an artist, so everything I do comes about quite unexpected and my mind is often empty, as I singing away and my hand paintings away, then after a while, I step back and see what's going on - often not what I had been "planning" at all! I was diligently painted a girl in a park, concentrating on getting its "fair", and when I got back and took a break, I saw that I had painted the Mona Lisa! I'm very annoyed with myself and two little old ladies came and said, "Oh, you paint the Mona Lisa"

what inspires your work [19459032?]

what inspires my work is simply beautiful. the beauty of the human soul, the beauty of playing this world..a baby, a bowl of fruit, the sky. .. light, indoor light, outdoor light ...

If you could describe yourself in three words, what would they be

5 words to describe me (what I think, but maybe others do not see me that way!) I LOVE - LIFE, people, I keep, I SUFFER, ENJOY

. outside the art world, is there anything that you are passionate about?

I care deeply about the children's state of suffering without own education to develop to their future happiness and security in life; it is in Indonesia, but essentially worldwide.

Finally, have you wise words of advice for aspiring artists?

For budding artists, I would simply say that it is of great importance to the future security of their existence to have a second string to their bow, so that when the times are lean and should themseves and feed their families, they can do it. It's not romantic, but starving in a garret is not fun!

 
0