History in the Making: Meet Michael Nicholson - Meet and Funky

History in the Making: Meet Michael Nicholson

Share:
History in the Making: Meet Michael Nicholson -
 
0
 
 
 
 
 

Michael is an HR consultant and Executive Coach, and founded the Britcham Toastmasters club in Jakarta when he was a member of the board BritCham in 2004. in the same year he joined the Indonesian Heritage Society, subsequently come to the board as a community Vice President, a position he held for four years. He tells us why understanding its history and to be able to speak with eloquence in public are important to him.

What led you to Indonesia to start?

Originally, I came as a tourist in 1981. I spent my high school years in Singapore, during the period of Indonesia-Malaysia confrontation with the Malaysia and Britain against Indonesia and was fascinated to come and take a look at the other side of the fence. As my father and sister family living in Melbourne, I did not need to return to the United Kingdom or Germany other than for sightseeing.

You used to be in the business world - it made you spend in training and consulting

When I returned Indonesia in 2004, Act 13 of work was introduced, what has not? 'T let' tubules' use as HR managers or directors. With 35 years of experience in HR only since I left university and no opportunity to work in HR directly, I looked around and decided to make my fortune as HR Consultant and Executive Coach. That gave me a lot of flexibility to attend to my other hobbies.

What is the most important lesson you can teach to your students?

The fact that we are our own worst enemies. We have the ability to do much more with our lives - if we really want, but we live life with the handbrake. Let go and follow your dreams.

What are the main objectives of Toastmasters

The Toastmasters Club British multinational members - most Indonesians who want to practice their already good English and acquire language skills and public leadership. A nonprofit organization, it was founded by Ralph Smedley in 1924 for the training of oral skills. At the end of June 2015, there were over 332,000 active Toastmasters in 15.540 clubs in 135 countries. In Indonesia, we only have 91 clubs, including 47 in Jakarta. Most use English, but Toastmasters is available in nine languages, and Jakarta we have English, Bahasa, Mandarin and Japanese language clubs. Being born German, I would like to start a German club very soon. French and Korean are also in the wings.

In addition to native speakers, who might want to improve their career prospects, there are also many Indonesians who wish to practice their foreign languages ​​at low cost and acquire speaking and leadership skills the same time.

How Toastmasters helped its members to Jakarta?

When I think back to some of the new Toastmasters I know since 2004, it is really transformational to see how they have gained confidence and progressed. A Japanese lady has metamorphosed from being a very shy speaker to achieve Distinguished Toastmaster, the highest level available for Toastmasters in about four years. Toastmasters training are not lessons. We all learn by doing. Members work in training manuals at their own pace, delivering speeches in meetings, where they are evaluated by their more experienced peers. Toastmasters is the place to make mistakes from which to learn how to be a competent public speaker.

How long have you been the vice president of the Society of Indonesian heritage (IHS) and how this happened occasion?

I joined IHS in 2004 just after my return to Indonesia for the third time. My first visit in 1981 was for two days as a tourist in Jakarta and Bali a week before returning to complete a four-year mission in Abu Dhabi. I did not know that I would be back at work in Kalimantan 1982-1984 as Human Resources Manager for Bechtel to build the PT Badak LNG plant in Bontang. That's where I met my wife, Indrati. As they say the rest is history.

I am the editor of the Indonesian Society Monthly Magazine heritage for some time, the co-chair for the study groups and then joined the Board as Vice President Community for about four years. The time I spent with IHS was the most satisfying moment of my life.

What interests you to join this cultural organization?

The fact that there are only 750 female and 50 male friends was not a decisive factor. I have always been interested in history and foreign culture. I was born in a suitcase and have never responded. My mother was German, my 90-year-old father is British and Australian now living in the Yarra Valley in Melbourne.

During your time at IHS, can you share what you believe is your most outstanding work?

End of three-month Indonesian Heritage Society training to qualify as a tourist guide at the National Museum. I am a volunteer tour guide since 2008 and have had the privilege of being chosen to give tours to thousands of Indonesians and tourists, including ambassadors to Indonesia, the wife of the Austrian President and 15 Austrian historians and museum directors, the wife of Singapore president and ministers of Australia.

You're creating a youth wing of heritage for 18-28 years. Tell us more about it.

In my years as a tourist guide I noticed that many young Indonesians have a latent interest in history and Indonesian culture. It is amazing to see the flock of young Indonesians attending museums and Fatahillah Square in Kota Tua. I hope to provide a volunteer guide training for young Indonesians who can not spare the time in midweek, but are interested in being trained as tour guides to guide the weekend.

Can you tell us why you believe that the history and culture of understanding one is important?

As they say, to learn from history so as not to repeat the same mistakes. The study of the history and culture of different ethnic groups is really fascinating.

What was the reading group or the most memorable study you attended?

The most interesting study group I joined was learning about the activities and contribution of Alfred Russel Wallace's theory of evolution and the Wallace line in Indonesia. My degree was comparative animal physiology, but my first job was in HR and I never looked back. It was a bit nostalgic.

Are you still involved in IHS?

Yes, I am still involved in the Society of Indonesian heritage and every year there is more to learn. For the last few conferences Evening Series, taking place in Erasmus Huis twice a year, I'm the MC. Erasmus Huis features a varied program of special exhibitions, conferences and events. There is also an extensive library open to the public.

What do you hope that you realize from your time in Indonesia?

A better understanding of the historical development in Indonesia.

What is your favorite period in Indonesian history?

The Majapahit Empire in the 12th and 13th centuries.

Thank you, Michael. To contact, please contact: michael.otto.nicholson@gmail.com . For more information, visit www.toastmasters.org or www.heritagejkt.org .

 
0