Mark Hanusz - Meet and Funky

Mark Hanusz

Share:
Mark Hanusz -
 
0
 
 
 
 
 

So Mark, what were you doing before starting Equinox Publishing?

I started working in Switzerland after college with a bank and they moved me several times from Zurich to Hong Kong, back to Zurich and finally here in Jakarta in March 1997. you know - young, dumb and full of ... ummm ... energy - so I thought it was great. When I left the bank a year later, I wanted to stay in Indonesia (it was a fascinating time), but did not want to start a new job. I was the editor of my high school yearbook and for some reason, I thought that qualify me to write a book (he did not). I spent a year and a half researching and writing and in March 2000 we released Kretek :. Culture and heritage cigarettes clove of Indonesia

What inspired you to go into the edition, and what were the initial challenges?

I was in a privileged position that I do not need (or want) to the height of my book to a publisher that I set up a company to do me -even. I do not intend to go into the book industry, with the exception of this one book. After the book was published, I found out I'm not a great writer, but after everything as the business of book publishing. The book market in Indonesia was just taking off in 2000 and I had the chance to ride this wave. And 12 years later, we're going strong.

What types of books published Equinox, and how many titles do you currently print?

We have over 100 printed books and we focus on the historical non-fiction. The range is quite large but basically everything outside cookbooks, books and poetry for children.

As a publisher, what do you look for in a quote?

Looking manuscripts that I would like to read myself. I rarely try to understand what the market wants I'm not sure they even know. I would like to see the manuscripts that are organized and polished -. It is the examination of their much easier and shows the writer really cares about his work

How about Equinox is different from other publishers?

Being an English language publisher in Indonesia is by definition, a niche market in another niche market. There are not many publishers who do what we do, so I'm not too concerned about the competition. We tried to publish books in the Indonesian language in the past, but just could not compete with the 1,000 or so other publishers on content, editing and price. Interestingly, I remember asking a local language editor how they price their books, and he said they look the cost to photocopy and add a small premium. That's when I decided I should really focus on English-language books.

Who is your favorite author and why?

For non-Indonesian writers, there is a toss between Ayn Rand and Milan Kundera. Both authors have deeply influenced me in my younger years, and continue to do so today. Among the local authors, it should be Pramoedya Ananta Toer. I had the privilege to know him very well before his death, and has always been humbled by humanity in his character and writing.

When not busy with work, how do you usually spend your free time?

I am blessed with a wonderful, energetic boy and 4 years trying to spend as much time as possible with him.

Having lived in Jakarta for a while, how you are the best things about life here in the big durian?

Jakarta has a very steep learning curve. I do not know many people who move here and immediately feel at home - especially if you have a family. Once you get used to it, though, you can begin to appreciate some of the charm - the biggest for me is to be able to do almost anything you want. I tend to think of the rules or laws in Jakarta are more like guidelines or "best practices" and am always amazed at how many different ways you can get things here. The problem is that it just takes some time to understand these things.

Last question! If you were to be stranded on a desert island indefinitely with a book to read again and again, what would it be?

Undoubtedly, it would be Bule Gila: Tales of a Dutch Barman in Jakarta . I forget the name of the author so.

 
0